Friday 25 September 2009

Is mobile internet faster through my mobile or my dongle?...





A question that has plagued mankind for generations.. and I have the answer!

I have a Nokia N800 (its actually kinda useless, prior to purchase it seemed like it would solve ALL of my problems..) it was really handy being able to connect to the internet via my mobile phone using bluetooth. If you had a Nokia phone it was easy to setup too, none of that "initialisation string" faffing you'd get with a pocket PC.  Anyway, I recently upgraded my T-Mobile mobile internet to an 18 month contract in exchange for a dongle (the USB 530 stick).  I noticed that my internet connection speed appeared to be a little quicker on my laptop since receiving this dongle... could it be that my mobile phone was actually a rubbish modem?  Was that the end of the road for the N800 (it doesn't have a "proper" usb port)

I decided to run a few tests using http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/ to see if it were true... for fairness, all tests were done whilst reclining on my couch with my trusty IBM T41 Thinkpad using Chrome (and not because I'm some kind of "Bill Gates must die" freak, its just Chrome was the quickest to open and less likely to have add ons butting in saying they need/have an update), no other tabs were open and no downloads, updates were running in the background.  The USB ports on this laptop are 1 not 2, so these results may be slower that the network allows but will still give an idea of difference in speed.  Each test was ran 3 times.

First up was connecting to the internet through my Nokia E51 using Nokia's PC Suite, via a usb cable.





As you can see, its not exactly break neck speed...

Next, connecting to the internet using the same port but this time with the 530 usb dongle from T-Mobile.





As you can see, the dongle was considerably faster than the mobile phone.  Which is a shame really, the E51 meant I could carry my mobile internet around with me all the time, by using bluetooth or JoikuSpot pretty much any other device I had was able to connect through it and to the internet.

I decided to put this on here as I couldn't get an answer anywhere else!  Perfect, the answer to a question no one ever asked!

No comments: