Friday 18 September 2009

Push email on your mobile?




Well it appears I set up the blog updates via email correctly, well done me!

You may have noticed the signature at the bottom of my last post. That is thanks to one of the best pieces of software I have come across for my mobile. I've always had email on my phone and really liked the idea of Blackberrys push email system, but have always preferred Nokia's phones.  Dilemma, dilemma. Until I came across Seven. It's a beta program at the moment and is free. So, if you like the idea of having push email on your mobile, go to www.seven.com and see if your handset is compatible.  Its easy to setup too, all you have to do is enter your email address and Seven works out the rest, which is a lot easier than messing around with
port numbers, pop and smtp settings.

Side effects?
Seven runs constantly in the background, it has to in order to push your emails around by keeping your phone connected to the internet. I haven't noticed a change in battery life but then I religiously put my phone on charge at night and place it in a charging cradle in my car. It uses very small amounts of data, so you shouldn't really notice this on your bill* (unless you start downloading attachments), most network operators offer you around 1mb of free data, I know O2 does with mine. The software does slow down the N95 a bit, I certainly wouldn't try installing it on the N73. My girlfriend has it on her E71 and it runs fine without affecting the phone at all.


*your experience may differ, so don't sue me!

No comments: