Thursday 8 November 2018

October 9, 2018—KB4464330 (OS Build 17763.55) Windows 10 failed to install on HP Elite 8100 - Blue Iris running as a service


This issue has been bugging me for other a month now, I figured it was related to the Windows 10 update that was deleting peoples files etc whilst it did what it did... turns out it wasn't. I had a similar issue with another HP in my house which turned out to be an old USB stick that interfered with the update..

So with that in mind I set about pretty much pulling apart my HP 8100 Elite.. still didn't work.. then I remembered that a Compaq I have didn't like a Windows 10 update a while ago and that turned out to be the fault of an out of date RAID driver (!?!) that Windows 10 hadn't updated.. so then went about installing all manner of old crappy drivers that I probably didn't need..

Then I sat down and thought.. humm.. it always got to 95% before crapping out and saying it couldn't finish the job (which was after the reboot). Then I remembered.. I had a copy of BlueIris running as a service at boot-up, which was handled by Task Scheduler.. I disabled that and hey presto the update worked.

It didn't occur to me that it would be an issue as its gone through several updates whilst BlueIris has been in place without issue so whatever is in this release is precious enough to take issue with either this program, or anything running as a service (that you've forced in there).

I thought I'd stick this on the interweb in case anyone else is being annoyed by this problem.

Oh and straight after fixing this issue, I got this!

No comments: