Saturday 26 March 2016

Bosch MUM46A1GB Food Mixer



Okay so, I go on a lot about computery stuff.. but I'm also getting into cookery. As part of my interest, I invested in one of these bad boys. Having never owned a food mixer/processor thing.. I went for a Bosch, after all, it is German. I have to say, its pretty amazing! The juicer function is pretty great, I've been getting tons of juice of of oranges compared to the little dribbles of juice you'd get by doing it by hand. I've made some smoothie drinks and today.. a pretty awesome Scotch Egg Pie.


I followed the recipe apart from.. I added a little extra water when mixing the pastry. I used the tool on the left initially to turn the mix into bread crumbs, using the amount suggested and then switched to the tool on the right to turn the bread crumb mixture into dough. I added the same amount of water again at this stage.

I also used the tool on the right to mix the sausage meat, parsley, salt and pepper together.

It turned out really well, however the recipe says to use "good quality sausage meat" none of the packaging ever says "this stuff is crap" so I went with the only one available in Sainsburys. There was a fair bit of fat in this and that fat effected the pie's base - made it quite wet and had a hit of not quite fully cooked about it. I'm thinking that maybe next time, I'd cook the sausage meat up first, drain off the fat and then stick in the mixer to loosen up before adding to the pie base. I'm fairly sure this method wouldn't kill me. I cooked mine for a full hour in a gas oven but found the pastry around the edge didn't look entirely cooked but the topping was looking particularly brown, so decided to drop the oven down to Gas Mark 4 and place some foil over the top. This helped the edge and protected the top but couldn't totally fix the bases problem (which I'm hoping my pre cooking of the meat idea will solve). Oh and I used a table spoon dipped in water to make the little trench thing they mention for sitting the eggs in - the sausage meat is pretty sticky.


Pretty awesome pastry if I do say so myself..


...eggs going in.. (my Mrs boiled them - I can't boil eggs..)


Egg and meat mountain complete!


Then sprinkled on the breadcrumb mix...



Then after an hour without foil and then approx 20 with foil sat over the top at a lower gas mark, out she comes!


Eggs coming back out again. It was damn good, even if the pastry was a bit moist at the bottom.

No comments: