Tuesday 18 May 2010

Tincam and why I ended up dealing with the trade union covering TCPs

I'm currently running a website that basically features photographs taken by a series of setup cameras across a stretch of water near my home.  Its quite busy and has lots of naval ships as well as tankers etc.  The weather can also get a little extreme as well.

I have one streaming camera set up.  I've spoken of it before, the Linksys jobbie, well since replacing the power supply for it, its run quite happily.  I am planning on setting up another but didn't really want the expence of another wireless camera.

I discovered a piece of software at www.tincam.com which enables you to stream video or pictures (as well as motion detection) from your webcam via a PC.  It involves portforwarding (hence previous adventure) if you're working behind a router.  You can use if for free for 30 days and then its $19 to buy.

Its fairly easy to setup (once you've dealt with your TCP trade union) and with a little extra research I managed to find some HTML code that allows you to embed the footage into your webpage rather than Media Player opening up.  Follow this link and go straight to the last post.  It works a treat!

No comments: