Tuesday 11 May 2010

The weather cam mutates further!

This things really getting carried away with itself now.  I went a bit mental on ebay and ended up with 4 old Olympus cameras.  Before buying I made sure they were all compatible with the Pine Tree Computing camera controller software.  As much as I like this software it does have a few little bugs.  I've found that I need to power up the cameras in a certain order otherwise the computer seems to confuse them all.  Once up and running though the software is pretty stable and hasn't crashed once in the whole time I've been running it.

The cameras were all sat on my kitchen window sill peering outside towards the see.  Even I thought it looked a little jumbled and messy so decided that I needed a solution..

 

The above picture isn't very clear thanks to the darned overcast/bright sky.. I'll try and take another picture later.. anyways, as you can see in the picture the cameras have all been raised up off the window sill and are now all looking out the top window.  But how did I do this.. an anti gravity field around the window perhaps?

Alas not, after R&D problems I decided to go with a shelf instead.  I wanted something light and as inobtrusive as possible (yes, inobtrustive with 4 cameras sat on it..) I just didn't want it to look any worse...

After considering a number of shelfing options, then best one I found was the glass shelves you get at homeware stores like B&Q/Wickes etc that go in bathrooms underneath mirrors.  The best one I could find was at Wickes as it had nice small fixing points for the wall, or in my case, window.  They were adjustable brackets too which means you can be a little less acurate in drilling etc.

this image makes the shelf look wonky.. i can assure you, its not!
 
PVC windows have an aluminium frame covered in the white plastic that we can all see.  Its pretty sturdy stuff so don't panic too much about drilling into it.  Mark the points you want to connect your shelfing brackets to and drill a couple of small pilot holes.

Then just follow the destructions that came with the shelf et-viola!

...can you tell I'm single...

I intend to get some white cable trunking to run down the right hand side of the window frame to tidy away the cabling...

My weather cam website has just been listed on BBC Devons site!  2 of my cameras are now being used by them.  I'm famous!

No comments: