Thursday 20 August 2015

Getting the updates to work after a fresh install of XP

I've recently decided to clear out a load of my old IT stuff that I don't use very much. I found two Compaq D510's, one is a Pentium 4 2.4 and the other a Pentium 4 1.6. They both had over 1GB of RAM in them which isn't bad!

I decided to stick a fresh install of Windows XP on them so that I could sell them both on Gumtree. I figured someone else might make better use of them.

If you have an old Windows XP terminal with a COA sticker and no installation disk, you'll need to track down a copy of Windows XP OEM. This will basically accept any COA sticker and run with Windows activation program after installation. So far, I've never had any issues with this.

One of the first problems I came across after installing XP was getting all the updates. Even with SP3 installed there was still a problem, basically, the Windows Update page wouldn't load at all. The fix for this is to install Microsoft .NET Framework 4. This filled in the gaps between an old copy of XP and the updated updates feed!

No comments: