Thursday 20 August 2015

Picasa constantly searching photos as though it was a fresh install..

This happened to me before in an installation with Windows 7 and has happened again with Windows 10. There's surprisingly little info out there on how to fix it despite it being a problem that a lot of people suffer with.

The symptom; every time I opened Picasa it would ask me where I wanted it to search for pictures, as though it was just installed. It would run the search find everything. Then when I closed Picasa and returned to it moments later, it would ask to do it all again. Clearly.. summit broked.

The only way I could fix this was to uninstall Picasa, then manually remove the leftovers. I found associated Picasa data here;

C:\Users\######\AppData\Local
C:\Program Files (x86)

(##### is your username)

Just delete the folders with Picasa mentioned in their names.

I then restarted my PC (I'm old fashioned and always found restarting solved many problems - and clears the cache)

After deleting this and then downloading a fresh copy of Picasa (as I had done before - god knows why this worked) the installation worked and Picasa behaved as it's supposed to.

This isn't the disaster it sounds, if you login to your Google account with Picasa it automatically identifies the items you've previously uploaded etc. It sounds like major surgery but it isn't and it worked for me!

No comments: