Thursday 20 August 2015

Installing Quicktime in Windows 10

Okay, so far I love Windows 10. I did a straight upgrade on my laptop (the HP G6 I've mentioned before) however on my PC, I decided that I wanted to increase the size of the SSD I had installed and then put a fresh Windows 10 installation on that. Although there is a way to download Windows 10 as a standalone, I found that it wanted a COA key. It didn't recognise the Windows 7 COA like I figured it would. The way I got around this, was to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 and then create a recovery USB and then install that onto the new SSD. It worked!

So, the laptop was working fine, all the old stuff carried on as usual however I was buggered on the PC as I like to use Picasa and was unable to view videos etc without Quicktime installed. Apple has not yet made Quicktime compatible with Windows 10.

The work around.. download Quicktime. Unzip the download (right click etc - I use a really good program called 7zip for this). Once unzipped run AppleApplicationSupport and then AppleSoftwareUpdate. These should install fine. Then, right click on Quicktime and select Troubleshoot Compatibility. Windows 10 then literally figures out the rest and installs Quicktime as it should.

Tada!

No comments: