Friday 25 March 2016

Dell Latitude E6410 - Random uninstalled hardware with Windows 10

The Dell Latitude E6410 is my new toy, although I'm actually typing this on my old G6.. I upgraded the RAM to its fullest (8Gb) and installed a circa 240Gb SSD - these things are amazing. If you haven't installed one yet, you must. The difference it makes to your system is amazing. If you're going to upgrade anything, it must be this, especially on a laptop. I did the upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 and then created a recovery drive and did a fresh Windows 10 install (pretty sure I've covered how to do that in here somewhere).

One thing I have noticed.. is a little piece of hardware sitting in the Device Manager showing as not installed.. everything is working fine. Its not falling over or hitting critical errors.. so what is this unimportant thing..



Right clicking on the item, selecting properties (like you used to in Windows XP.. and probably 2000 come to think of it), gives you some extra info.. the details tab gives you some details you can search on. This actually relates a system whereby an inbuilt accelerometer would tell the HDD to stop spinning in order to protect itself during impact.

As I have an SSD, I don't need this as there are no spinning parts to protect. That was as far as my quest took me as I didn't need to fix it. If you're sat there with a conventional HDD.. rather than spend time trying to fix it.. get an SSD, I promise you won't regret it! I know its money but it's money well invested.

No comments: