Sunday 30 March 2014

Dynamic DNS NOIP.com and linking it altogether with NAS4FREE

I've been playing around with my NAS4FREE server for a while now and wanted to work out how to create my own memorable URL rather than having to A) use my IP B) know what my IP was when I'm away from home.

My IP rarely changes as I'm with Virgin however I still didn't want to be away from home and not be able to access my server if my IP should change. I used the noip.com service to setup my own free domain name. 


Select Hosts/Redirects and create a name. It'll ask you to enter your current IP address so that the host name and your IP can be linked. From now on, instead of typing in your IP, you'll be able to use this host name instead.

There are tools available to download from their site that you can install on your PC/Laptop that will automatically login to NOIP and update your IP however I wanted a way of getting my server to do this for me.

Fortunately, within NAS4FREE there is a tab for just such a service! Just click on Services, then go to Dynamic DNS.


From there you can select your Dynamic DNS provider from a drop down list, and then enter your username details and how often you want your server to update your IP.
Genius!

No comments: