Monday 17 March 2014

Making use of a D-Link DIR 615 Router (issued by Virgin Media)



If like me you're a long standing Virgin Media customer, you probably have a D-Link 615 router laying about. They gave off a decent enough signal but were pretty useless if you wanted to do anything remotely interesting with them, by interesting of course I mean port forwarding etc! Thanks to DD-WRT and their software, you can flash the memory of your old router and make something far more handy of it. The above link takes you to the firmware search page, check the base of your router to ensure the variant of your 615 before downloading.

I have a cabin at the bottom of my garden and wanted to be able to boost the signal out to it and be able to ponce about with my old PC's without having to involve a USB wireless device. Following the above video I was able to set it up very easily. The guy who made this video uses the site survey option which isn't mentioned on the wiki page for the software. I'm also planning to install this setup in my parents house so they can get wireless everywhere! - check my comment for the only discrepancy I had between what he said and what was happening, however that could easily have been a cache/browser issue my end. His description showed me where I was going wrong, basically I kept getting stuck on the wrong subnet. DDWRT starts the router off on 192.168.1.# and every time I changed it to 192.168.0.# I would lose it because my laptop was still floating around on 192.168.1.# all by itself!


DD WRT gives a staggering amount of extra functions to your old router. If I explore any of the other things it can do, I'll post my findings on here!

No comments: